thumb_Bridge29.6m long footbridge over River Lee

The River Lee forms the boundary between the London Boroughs of Waltham Forest and Hackney and Spring Hill Footbridge spans the river at the surprisingly tranquil and rural Lee Valley Marina.   The footbridge not only provides access to the Marina and the surrounding country park, but also carries all the services across the river.

 Therefore the continuing provision of services to the marina, to boat users and to the marina owner's home was an important consideration when the contract to replace the footbridge was awarded.

 As principal contractor Intaspan were responsible for co-ordinating the utilities companies to ensure that a temporary water, power and sewage services were provided whilst the old bridge was demolished and arranging the re-connection of new services once the new bridge was in place.  This involved using commercial divers to lay a temporary power supply on the river bed. It was also essential to keep disruption of the waterway to a minimum, so close liaison with British Waterways was required.

 The existing bridge contained lead paint, so in order to ensure that no paint or debris was allowed to contaminate the water, the bridge was completely encapsulated, before being removed in one piece to the river bank with a 300 tonne mobile crane.  The concrete slabs were removed and the span cut into sections for transportation by lorry to a licensed site.  The span removal was achieved within a 5 hour river closure.

 With another bridge a short distance downstream, it was possible to arrange a pedestrian diversion  for approximately four weeks,  enabling the existing abutments to be repaired and lowered to accommodate the new bridge.  This was achieved by removing the existing engineering bricks, undertaking structural stitching and resin injection and replacing the bricks.  Where the abutments could not safely be reached from the banks, small boats were used to gain access.

 Intaspan's design for the replacement bridge was a 29.6 metre long, 2m wide single span steel truss.  The new bridge at 21 tonnes was considerably lighter than the existing bridge and installation was undertaken using a 160 tonne crane.

 The bridge was then  re-opened to pedestrians and cyclists and permanent services re-connected.